Thursday, November 8, 2012

Othello Discussion

One of my favorite quotations that i wrote about in my discussions was "It was only when alone that Iago revealed his frightful wickedness and his fiendish joy in it, and there it was, in that revealment, an icy malignanty of exultation that caused a strange affect of mingled admiration and fear."I found this quote very true because after I read it, I noticed how Iago really did save his ultimate villainy for the moments when he was alone or talking to the audience, where we could see his true colors and how deceiving others brought him happiness. I wanted to feel hatred towards Iago, but at the same time, the way he was so passionate and ruthless in his business made me want to admire him too. The same goes for Satan in Paradise Lost because although he is a larger than life evil character, something about him is intriguing. He makes Hell seem so interesting, especially how he takes on tasks like a war with God with such ease and pleasure. We want to find him Hellish and grotesque, but the craziness of all of his stories (like the one today about his twisted family tree) make us want to hear more and hate less.

1 comment:

  1. Note of "honest" Satan was in the lines we read today from Book IV. Of course, that was in a soliloquy essentially, right!

    ReplyDelete