Monday, November 5, 2012

Iago's Deep-Hearted Inferiority Complex

When going back through my Othello Critical Quotation paper, Coach Crook had an interesting question about the comment that I made about Iago's hidden evil motives.  He asked me whether I thought Iago has a deep-hearted inferiority complex that he could ever admit.  I definitely think that Iago has a deep hearted inferiority complex, but he doesn't really admit it.  At the end of the play, he does not deny that he caused all of the chaos to happen, but he never directly tells Othello or anyone else in the bedroom exactly why he did what he did.  I think that Iago wants to keep his motives to himself because he has a reason to dislike Othello, but that reason is not legitimate enough to cause the major blood bath that he did and I think he knows that way deep down.

No comments:

Post a Comment