Monday, November 26, 2012

Heart of Darkness

I honestly did not completely understand The Heart of Darkness, so my thoughts on it might be completely off.  I thought one of the main themes of the novel was corruption/madness.  This corruption and madness I feel like had a presence in Kurtz throughout the whole novel, but it soon transferred over to Marlow to some extent.  Marlow tells us near the beginning of the book that he can't stand lies.  Yet, at the end of the book, Marlow lies to Kurtz's fiance about Kurtz's last words.  I think that Marlow's obsession with Kurtz kind of led him down the road of corruption.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure anyone complete understands HoD, not even Marlow and Me! But you certainly are on the right track, Caroline. Let's see how your thought on the transference of corruption/and madness plays out in our discussions. What is the source of the corruption? At what point does it lead to madness? Could you apply this idea to Satan, Othello, DG, others? I like it!

    ReplyDelete