Monday, November 26, 2012

HOH

Heart of Darkness was a really tough read. I felt like I was reading the same sentence five times before I  had actually processed. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how Heart of Darkness ties in to what we're studying, but that may be a part of my inability to understand what I read. Yes, there were cannibals, a seemingly corrupt "Company," dark, twisty jungles, and ferocious natives, but nothing really evil stuck out at me. From what I read, it seemed like an antsy captain, eager to get back out there, got assigned a really challenging "mission" that brought him to hell and back. Anything truly bizarre happened in the third part of the book when the reader finally meets the notorious Kurtz, a washed up old man that became immersed in the native culture. From all of that I don't think I could pin point a certain theme. Maybe disappointment? I feel like Marlow built up this big adventure (Kurtz included) in his head only to realize that what awaited him was nothing more than a bunch of savages and a narcissistic scholar.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're on to something, with your thoughts on Evil and adventure leading to disappointment. Remember there are different types of devils, as Marlow points out. And I like how you've tagged as "corrupt" The Company. What are they, and Europe, and civilization supposed to represent? How do they turn out? Is this a source of disappointment, too? What does Marlow mean by having a choice of two nightmares? Let's be sure to discuss these issues, please!

    ReplyDelete