Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Heart of Darkness

I thought that Heart of Darkness was very different from the other books that we have read this year. There is no clear villain, and no cunning plan. It is apparent that Marlow sees the jungle as an evil being and it constantly terrifies him throughout the story. To me it seems as if Marlow sees Kurtz as a victim of the jungle. All of the evil that surrounded him ended up corrupting him. It was a difficult story for me to follow, but I liked the narrative story. I confused why we never find out who our narrator really is.

1 comment:

  1. I had a really hard time trying to follow this book because of the narration like Ellie said. I still don't understand how we are being told a story by someone who is telling the story that he heard from the original teller who told this story to someone else? Personally the way the story was written in respect to the narrator was what made this book so difficult for me to read. I agree that Heart of Darkness is completely different from the rest of the books we have studied thus far. I think I enjoyed it better because it was different. I am not complaining about having a villain and evil plan being clear cut, but I think it makes us pay more attention to the bare bones of the definition of evil and the different forms it comes in.

    ReplyDelete