Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Heart of Darkness

Like everyone has been saying, Heart of Darkness was extremely confusing to understand and read.  It also did not help that I had my wisdom teeth taken out at the beginning of the break, so every time I read it I was completely out of it.  Though I can admit I cannot give much insight as to the plot, I personally appreciate why it was written how it was written.  Like we have said in class, the book was written to be read as if the reader is going through the jungle.  In my opinion the words are the leaves and trees you are trying to push your way through, not being able to see very far ahead, while the overall theme of the book is reached from how the journey was taken.  The movie we are watching in class is really helping me understand what happened in the book and to play out how everything went on.  I think it is very creative how Marlon Brando (sp?) changed going through the jungle to being in war.  Yes, Vietnam is a lot of jungle, but I can make the connection to the fact that the jungle is a gruesome, raw, long struggle as is war. 

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right that the presence of evil will be much harder to pinpoint, but perhaps more interesting to discuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, if we have time, we'll read some passages aloud in class. It really comes alive when heard; after all, the story is being told.

      Delete