Thursday, September 20, 2012

Shakespeare makes me depressed

Well, I just finished the play and basically I am depressed. I am extremely upset Desdemona died, even though I knew it was coming. I am glad that Othello and Rodrigo died though. I wish that Othello would have had to suffer a bit more for what he did to Desdemona. I feel like he understood he got tricked...then immediately killed himself. I am not even sure if he really truly understood what happened.
For some reason I don't think the pacing of the events in this play worked for me. I realize that Shakespeare's tragedies all unfold very rapidly, but this one didn't feel right.
It also makes me really sad that Barbantio died because of Desdemona and Othello, especially since there marriage ended up so horribly.
Also I may have misinterpreted this, but I think Othello had a line right before he killed himself saying he would see people in heaven....thats annoying because he should definitely go to hell, at the very least purgatory.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you Julia. I just finished reading the play as well and I thought it unfolded way too rapidly. When I started to read Act V, I knew people had to start dying because the main characters hadn't died at any other point in the book. I feel like these deaths happened too soon and that they should have happened periodically throughout the book. I felt like Act V was death after death after death and it was very depressing! I was also very upset that Desdomona died and that Othello didn't suffer as much as I wanted him to for killing Desdomona. I agree with you Julia, hopefully he will go to hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like y'all agree Harold Bloom that this is Shakespeare's most painful play. Many people also agree that the pace or timing of the tragedy is a problem. But do you think that the nature of Iago's schemes dictated that they couldn't unfold gradually or else he would have been exposed and the results would not have the same impact?

    ReplyDelete