Friday, September 21, 2012

Everything goes Iago's way

I really really enjoyed this play as a whole. I found it very easy to keep reading because a good amount of interesting action was always taking place. I liked Shakespeare's style of building up all of the reader's suspense and thoughts until the very end when everything kindof works out all falls into place. Certainly alot of things all happened in the last act....but I liked this. About Iago...I think that he is very clever because throughout the whole play he is really just using each of the characters and really turning them all against eachother. Everyone in the play may be a little gullible until the ending, but I think that is what makes Othello so good. Iago takes advantage of everyone's trusting attitudes and really uses them to make himself look like the good guy....even though he obviously isn't. I think that Iago knew that eventually in the end everything was going to crumble down once people started realizing what was going on; however, I think this is how Iago intended it to be. He knew that he was probably going to get caught in the end, yet still took the chance to ruin everyone else's lives. I think that is what makes Iago a true villain.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that everything goes Iago's way. I think Iago is extremely cunning. I also think that a lot of what makes his plan so effective is that Iago is very patient. He never says comebacks or gets into fights with people when they insult him (which is quite often). I think it is really smart of Iago to not give anyone a reason to suspect him because he seems so calm and trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though Iago is a little hyper, I think, you make a great point about his being patient! Is there a point in the play where he gets a little panicky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what Carter said about Iago knowing he was going to get caught in the end. I never understood why Iago was making all these traps and lies up but when they play was over, i realized that it's just who he is as a character. He likes to have the power and the name Honest Iago at least for a little while, even though he probably knows he's going to get caught some way or another. The end was so quick and i wish all of the action could've been spread out through maybe acts 4&5 instead of just 5 because i felt like all of the murders were pretty rushed. If they had happened more spread out, things probably would've turned out differently, but also, the reader could see more of a reaction from the main characters to how badly they were tricked by Iago. Still, I liked this play as a whole because even though all of the action was at the end, Iago's tricks had me wanting to read all the way till the end.

    ReplyDelete