Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Othello

   I actually read Othello in eighth grade for Independent Reading, but like the first time I watched the Godfather, a bunch of things flew over my head.  I never really took the time to think about Iago, I just really did not like him, and I didn't really like talking about him.  Now that we are discussing him, he seems a little more interesting to me.  When we were talking about his mind set, he really seemed like a modern villain because the way he finds pleasure is so strange and hard to understand.  The way he takes everything as an insult makes him feel so nasty.

Another thing that I kinda glossed over when I read the play was the amount of racial commentary/content.  The way that the race issue seems really modern to me.  I think it is interesting that people back then found it interesting. 

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that Shakespeare lived so long ago and still made a vilian that could relate to modern times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me,too, Alex. So in what way do you see Iago's villainy as modern?

    ReplyDelete