Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Othello the Movie

The scene that we watched today and Thursday in class was very interesting. I think that Roderigo's character and the way that he reacts to Desdemona's love for Othello is a little dramatic. I realize that is how his reaction is supposed to be....but he might be over doing it a little bit. Especially when he so immediately switches into a good mood as soon as Iago uses his persuasiveness. I think that Iago does a very good job with his character, acting somewhat similar to a devil figure. The movie shows him whispering into Roderigo's ear just like a little devil figure on his shoulder. Somehow, Iago's words are very influential on Roderigo and immediately pull him out of his slump. I didn't really like Iago's aside when he was just staring into the camera. I thought it was a little too obvious that he was saying something important and maybe for once finally telling the truth. The ending to that scene, with the chess pieces representing Othello, Desdemona, and Cassio was a little over the top I thought with the lightning and crackling fire. However, I did like that the chess pieces represented the plot that will occur in the play. Iago is a very clever one.

No comments:

Post a Comment