Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Othello the Movie

I really enjoyed the parts of the movie that we watched in class today.  I do think that the actor that plays Othello, though, has very little emotion which makes his role less effective in the play.  His speech to the Duke was a lot more effective to me personally when we went over it in class than when he said it in the movie.  I also find him to be a little bit creepy in the movie, and I don't see him being like that when I picture him when I am reading.  What are y'alls thoughts on the actor that plays Othello?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Caroline in that the actor that plays Othello seems like he has no emotions at all and maybe sometimes a little distant. However, these character traits which we may see as flaws could actually be contributing to Othello as a person. He could potentially want to appear so confident that it may come off a unemotional. I think that he is trying to maintain his personality as a high commander in the army as well as be the husband that he needs to be for Desdemona. Overall, this could be a difficult balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see how Othello's emotions evolve. This is a key to the play!

    ReplyDelete