Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reading 9

I can't help but notice that Adam seems like he knows everything in this reading. I'm not trying to be a feminist, but he certainly seems superior to Eve in knowledge and power. He also knows a lot more about life than I would have thought. Lines 610-around 633 when he is talking about God's purpose for them, Adam seems to know why they are there and what they are supposed to do which surprises me. I thought him and Eve would have been equally clueless as to why they exist and what they are supposed to do.

1 comment:

  1. In a way, Adam is a priest and Eve is a member of the congregation.Milton sets Adam up, some think, as the epic hero of the poem; therefore, he will be superior but not perfect. This is the case with Achilles in The Iliad and with Odysseus in The Odyssey. There is certainly some Biblical justification for Milton making Adam closer to God than Eve, and then of course, the poet is a chauvinist, too!

    ReplyDelete