Sunday, November 28, 2010

favorite quotes from Heart of Darkness

1. The Earth seemed unearthly. We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look upon a thing monstrous and free. 91

2. "who was not his friend who heard him speak once?" she was saying. "He drew men towards him by what was best in them." She looked at me with intensity. "It is the gift of the great" 147

3. Yes; I looked at them as you would on any human being, with a curiosity of their impulses, motives, capabilities, weaknesses, when brought to the test of an inexorable physical necessity. Restraint! What possible restraint? ... No fear can stand up to hunger, no patience can wear it out, disgust simply does not exist where hunger is 99

4. I don't like work - no man does - but I like what is in the work,- the chance to find yourself. Your own reality - for yourself, not others - what no other man can ever know. They can only see the mere show, and never can tell what it means. 80

1 comment:

  1. Your first passage is one that the movie helps me see. I'd be interested in what you see as significant in #4. Lots of irony in #2!

    ReplyDelete