Sunday, November 28, 2010

"His was an impenetrable darkness.  I looked at him as you peer down at a man who is lying at the bottom of a precipice where the sun never shines." (86)

"I tried to break the spell of the wilderness--that seemed to draw him into its pitiless breat by the awakening of forgotten and brutal instincts, by the memory of gratified and monstrous passions.  This alone, I was convinced, had driven him out to the edge of the forest, to the bush, towards the gleam of fires, the throb of drums, the drone of weird incantations; this alone had beguiled his unlawful soul beyond the bounds of permitted apirations" (83)

"his intelligence was perfectly clear...his soul was mad" (83)

"It seemed to me I had never breathed an atmosphere so vile, and I turned mentally to Kurtz for relief--positivey for relief.  'Nevertheless, I think Mr. Kurtz is a remarkable man,' I said with emphasis.  He started, dropped on me a cold heavy glance, said very quietly, 'He was,' and turned his back on me.  My hour of favour was over; I found myself lumped along Kurt as a partisan of methods for which the time was not ripe: I was unsound!  Ah!  but it was something to have at least a choice of nightmares." "I had turned myself to the wilderness really, not to Mr. Kurtz, who, I was ready to admit, was as good as buried." (79)

"The mind of man is capable of anything--because everything is in i, all the past as well as the future." (52)

"Going up that river was like travelling back to the earliest beginnings of the world, when vegitation rioted on the earth and the big trees were kings."(49)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent choices that I hope to discuss in class. Point them out, please, if we don't bring them up. The movie helps me to picture the last one. I especially want to discuss the ones cited from p. 83.

    ReplyDelete