Monday, November 29, 2010

Heart of Darkness Quotes

"I did not betray Mr. Kurtz -- it was ordered I should never betray him -- it was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice." (81)

"I felt I was becoming scientifically interesting." (35)

"After all, I also was a part of the great cause of these high and just proceedings." (31).

"The snake had charmed me." (23)

"We live in the flicker -- may it last as long as the old earth keeps rolling! But darkness was here yesterday." (20)

2 comments:

  1. In any of your passages, do you hear sarcasm from Marlow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Marlow uses sarcasm in the third quote I typed. "After all, I also was a part of the great cause of these high and just proceedings," (31). Marlow knows that the orders and procedures in the jungle are not moral or sane. I think the "great cause" that Marlow is taking part in is helping the lower officers remove a higher and more powerful person in their way of achieving more power (glory?), Mr. Kurtz.

    ReplyDelete