Sunday, November 28, 2010

Heart of Darkness Quotes

“He lived then before me; he lived as much as he had ever lived – a shadow insatiable of splendid appearances, of frightful realities; a shadow darker than the shadow of the night, and draped nobly in the fold s of a gorgeous eloquence” (Conrad 90)
“I shall see this eloquent phantom as long as I live, and I shall see her too, a tragic and familiar Shade, resembling in this gesture another one, tragic also, and bedecked with powerless charms, stretching bare brown arms over the glitter of the infernal stream, the stream of darkness." (93-94)
“I tell you…this man has enlarged my mind” (70)
“I could not tell her. It would have been too dark — too dark altogether…” (94)
“I saw on that ivory face the expression of sombre pride, of ruthless power, of craven terror-of an intense and hopeless despair. Did he live his life again in every detail of desire, temptation, and surrender during that supreme moment of complete knowledge?” (86)

1 comment:

  1. Good choices. Several of them regard the haunting effect Kurtz has on Marlow, right? So your last choice hints at what Marlow thinks Kurtz labels "The horror!"?

    ReplyDelete