Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"manly" Iago

In my version of the play I have a footnote for "guinea hen," the name Iago calls Desdemona or just women in general.  In my book it says the word can also be interpreted as slang for prostitute.  This got me thinking again how Iago is always looking for a window to slide in a dirty joke or "hanky pankage" and that maybe what he says in the next line, he would "rather change [his] humanity with a baboon," the baboon is Othello.  Perhaps Iago's apparent manliness is a guise for his sexual preference?  In other words, Iago is gay. I'm not sure if I'm pulling this from back field or if it's maybe plausible.  This would explain, however, his anger at Othello for marrying Desdemona (which is, for the reader at least, when he starts plotting against Othello).

There has been speculation into whether Shakespeare was gay, so this just popped into my head.... Tell me if I'm crazy

1 comment:

  1. There is absolutely a critical approach to Iago that he may be gay, or at least has a "man crush" on Othello. There is often a "gay interpretation" to many approaches to literature. Some may be valid; others a stretch. Obviously, Iago doesn't have a very high opinion of women. Again, makes you wonder about the nature of his relationship with his wife out of public view. Do you know the word "misogynist"? And of course your insight into the word "baboon" could extend the racial slurs that have been leveled at Othello already by Roderigo and Brabantio. As far as your being "crazy," well....

    ReplyDelete