Monday, September 26, 2011

Ending

I loved Emilia's part in the ending, but I was kind of disapointed in Iago's role. You'd think that if he took all the time in his cruel planning that he would have a final quote that would enlighten readers of his motives or his true thoughts...His last words were "Demand me nothing. What you know, you know. From this time forth I never will speak word." I feel that it's anticlimactic. Everyone knows he's guilty so why not say something like "I don't regret what I did" or at least an evil laugh? Something along those lines...

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree the ending was slightly disappointing. I would have loved to see Iago laughing in everyone's face because he did disrupt their lives. He not only disrupted their lives but in a way ended their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking a little more about this, I got the idea that maybe Iago only exists to create chaos. Once his plan was executed, it seems that he ceases to exist? But I still expecting him to revel in his evil "masterpiece"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iago's response, or lack of a response, just adds to his enigmatic nature, I think. Could his closed mouth be his last twist of the daggar, or drop of poison, or withholding of the last drop, into Othello's mind?
    Could it be that he really has nothing to say, no reason to give? Could he be like Lord Henry and know the exact right moment when to say NOTHING? Could he simply be enjoying his masterpiece with a clinical, scientific, detached eye? I'm just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  4. He knows there's nothing to do to prove his innocence. The evidence against him is overwhelming, so I don't think he keeps his mouth shut to save himself. Coming back to this question after seeing the movie, I liked how Kenneth Brauna (spelling?) did the most subtle smile at the end. It wasn't quite the wicked laughter I was expecting, but I think the small, almost unnoticable smile fits his personality. He is a subtle and sneaky person, so maybe a crazy evil laugh would perhaps be too much for his character?

    ReplyDelete