Monday, October 25, 2010

Reading 1

Notice the point around line 62 where Milton says "As one great Furnace flam'd, yet from those flames/ No light, but rather darkness visible"(book 1, line 62-63). I can't quite remember at what point in Othello we mentioned it, but I know that we discussed this notion before of darkness visible. I think in this line, Milton is once again describing the dark realization Satan has as he looks around hell of how dark the world can actually be.

It's also interesting to me that what hurts the most about hell is not how terrible the place is, it's more how terrible the place is compared to heaven. If the Devil had never known of heaven, would he not be satisfied to live in hell all his life? Is that not the main torture of hell for humans: comparing it to how good life on earth was to how it is in hell?

2 comments:

  1. It reminds me of the line that Mr. Crook mentioned from Dr. Faustus about how since Mephistopheles is no longer in heaven, no matter where he goes he is in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Holly!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete