Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Horror, The Horror

I think Kurtz says "The horror, the horror" as he is dying because he is thinking about all of the horrible things he has done while in the jungle.  He might also be realizing the true horrors the jungle possesses, and the fact that he has become one with the jungle is horrifying to him.  I also believe that what we said in class today is true. Kurtz's life flashes before his eyes, and he realizes the magnitude all of the horrors he has ever seen in his life.  He becomes sane by the hand of something insane; the jungle.  He becomes tame in the untameable. 

5 comments:

  1. I certainly think that Marlow would agree with you, Alex. See what you discover this week in your critical reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Alex. I think that "The horror, the horror" signifies how Kurtz thinks back on his life. So often we hear that when someone dies, they have short flashbacks of all that has happened in their life and honestly I don't think that Kurtz enjoyed that information. I think he was kind of forced to see all that he had done, and he didn't like the look of it. I think "The horror, the horror" really means that Kurtz thinks that he has lived a life where he did horrible things and he couldn't stop himself because he was tempted by the Jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea that whatever Kurtz sees, it was forced on him, and he did not like it. Is there anything positive in that he at least sees what he sees as"horror"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that could be one possibility...however I also think it could be the opposite. Like maybe he's warning Marlow that the horror is really back where he's going, London. I am not sure if Kurtz would really recognize what he's done in that split instant because he has had years to do that. I think it would be one thing if he had even really been out of the jungle when he died, but he wasn't.

    ReplyDelete